Thursday, January 2, 2014

SPRING GARDENING BEGINS IN JANUARY

Yes, it is true.....I have started to dream and think about fresh food from the garden and gardening.  I know, it is bitterly cold out there.
 All I really want to do is sit in front of the fire place wearing "lots of layers of cloths" cuddled up with my dogs.  But there seems to be an internal alarm that is set for January 1st each year that says "wake up"!!!!  It's time to plan your garden, get your seeds ordered and decide what, where, how much, what type of vegetables I want to grow this upcoming growing season.   And what gardening approaches I will want to try this year.  Of course, I also want to do a little research on unusual or different vegetables that I haven't tried before but am interested in exploring.  I try to grow 2-3 new vegetables each year.

So, the seed catalogs are arriving and I need to decide if I am going to start my own seeds this year.  I have an open house design
with animals and it is hard to find a place to start seeds where the dogs might not get into them or the cats in the basement.  But I have been researching "Winter sowing".  Instead of starting seeds indoors I can sows seeds and growing them into seedlings out in the cold of winter.  A fascinating approach and something I am going to try this year.  Stay tuned.  I'll be sharing how I do that so if any of you that are interested in trying it, we can do it together.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment