Sunday, May 19, 2013

TURKEY SPINACH BURGERS AND BROILED ONIONS


I posted a blog last week on both spinach and onions.  I wanted to make a meal that incorporated both ingredients!  I decided to make turkey burgers, but not just any turkey burger.  I added both onion and spinach to add even more nutrients to my meal!

What's great about using ground turkey vs ground beef, is that it is much more lean; meaning it has less fat.  This would be a great way to sneak in some spinach and healthy protein for your kids and yourself!

When I cook, I don't usually like to go directly off a recipe.  I will use a recipe as a guideline, but I almost never measure ingredients out.  (CAUTION: Do not do this when baking.  Baking is a science and exact measurements are necessary for a successful product). 

Turkey Spinach Burgers - makes 4-6 burgers depending on the size
  • 1.5 lbs ground turkey
  • 1-3 cups fresh spinach (You can use frozen as well!)
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 4-6 Whole wheat buns
  • Any other fresh ingredients you'd like to garnish your burger with
    • I used tomato, MORE spinach, and avocado
RECIPE
  1. Heat a small pan on medium with onion and olive oil.  Once onions start to turn translucent, toss in your spinach. (Spinach wilts very quickly!)
 
2. Mix together spinach and onions to your ground turkey, as well as salt and pepper if you'd like  
3.  Add egg to ground turkey spinach mixture
4. Form turkey patties. (Keep in mind turkey burgers do not shrink as much as beef burgers)
5. Sprinkle panko bread crumbs on the outside of the turkey patties to help keep them together (Turkey burgers also tend to fall apart easier than beef patties)
6. Place turkey patties in a preheated pan and flip when golden brown on each side. (It's important to make sure the turkey burgers are cooked all the way through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit) 

Broiled Onions

  • 1 red onion, sliced into rings
  • 1 white or yellow onion, sliced into rings
  • Olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • Salt & pepper to taste
RECIPE
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Slice onions into rings
  3. Toss in bowl or on pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, or any other spices or condiments you'd like

 4. Roast onions for roughly 15-20 minutes depending on the crunch you'd like
 5. Turn Broiler on high and place onions on top rack for five-10 minutes.       
 (WATCH  CLOSELY!!) I like to put the roasted onions on top of my turkey spinach burger!

I thought these burgers we one of the yummiest I've ever made!  I encourage you to not only try these recipes out, but also to grown both onions and spinach in your very own backyard garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment