Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I wish I could say that we could all get out there and plant our cool weather crops and start thinking about our warm weather crops such as tomatoes.  My mouth is watering for fresh tomatoes.  As we always have to take our cues from mother nature, the cue this season is "wait" my winter season is going to be longer than usual.

Tomorrow though when the snow is off my 4 by 4 raised beds on legs I plan to start my spinach.  It is right outside my dining area and I can keep a good eye on it.  Spinach loves the cool weather and grows best from March to May.  This year it might be May to June, you never know.
Spinach "bolts" (flowers) in heat and does not tolerate heat well.  so, if you want home grown spinach on your table, get it planted soon if there is no predictions of snow in the near future.  Spinach needs rich well-drained soil so make sure you have added compost to your soil before planting.

Spinach is a powerhouse of nutrients...especially eaten raw and as soon as it is picked. Spinach is one of the most beneficial and healthy vegetables. It is filled with lots of vitamins, minerals, proteins, antioxidants that support your overall health and well being and is essential in good eye health.  Use it in juicing.  If I don't want to juice,  I'll place spinach in the blender with some water, broccoli, kale or chard (cut up of course) and a little yogurt or juice for sweetness and blend them. With blending I get the fiber which floats to the top, using a spoon to scoop it up and eat it and drink the remaining juice.   The remaining juice is great and I always feel more vibrant after drinking these powerhouses of vibrant nutrient packed vegetables.  Try it.  If you don't have a juicer, you can blend it all together using your creativity of many choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment