Thursday, April 25, 2013

Onion set plantings

I dare say that most of the snow has melted and there is a promise of the ground warming up a bit.  I think the onion sets can go in the garden over the weekend.  Onions are a cool season vegetable but remember that exposure to cold-either a period of several days below 50 degrees Fahrenheit or a day or two below 30 degrees Fahrenheit can cause sets of any size to bolt.  So, as winter has continued on for a longer period this year, plant cautiously if it is still cold out.

There are so many different types of onions to plant, sets or seeds.  You have a variety of choices.  For myself, I prefer sets but many love the regular green onions.  Plant them in full sun well-drained soil.  Onions compete poorly with weeds so keep them weeded and watered.  When they are fully matured, the onion tops will fall over and turn brown and they are ready to harvest.  But let them dry out a bit before storing them.

If you are looking for a vegetable that has a long history, you will find it in the onion.  It is thought to have been around for thousands of  years and used by almost all countries.  It has great therapeutic, antibacterial, antifungal properties.  Both cooked and raw onions are known to have anti-platelet adhesiveness which helps prevent clotting.   They help reduce inflammation and are rich in flavonoids.   Onions contain sulfides that can help in lowering cholesterol.   The list of benefits of both raw and cooked onions is long.  I invite you to research their benefits.  And I must say they bring a great flavor to anything I cook.  Onions are the vegetable that I grab first when I am cooking.  They are so much a part of my cooking experience.

What is your experience with onions in your life? Any growing secrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment